UNDERGROUND WATER DEVELOPMENT AND RURAL AND SEMI URBAN WATER SUPPLY AND SANITATION IN CHAD
|Client||Ministère du Plan et de la Coopération
Ministère du Plan et de l’Aménagement du territoire
Ministère du Plan, de l'Economie et de la Coopération Internationale Ordonnateur National du FED, Cellule ACTION FED
|Services provided||Assesment of water resources, Socio-economic studies, Detailed Design, Preparation of tender documents,Works Supervision|
|Period of execution||1994-1998, 1999-2005,2011-2016|
|Construction cost||Amount of works 7th EDF: € 6,174,185
Amount of works 8th EDF: € 18,375,000
Provisional amount of works 10th EDF: € 67,000,000
|KEY FACTS / KEY DATA||
2,500,000 Inhabitants provided with clean water
During the last two decades the European Union, through the EDF has financed several important projects in Chad, regarding the development of the underground water resources and the rural and urban watersupply.
The general objective of these projects is to eradicate as much as possible the diseases related to the use of polluted water, which is still among the primary causes of death of rural populations especially of young age, and to improve the living conditions of the populations in rural and semi urban areas.
Lotti Ingegneria has been awarded a first contract under the 7th EDF which was executed from December 1994 to May 1998 and whose key data were the following:
- 300,000 inhabitants provided with clean water.
- 600 new boreholes equipped with hand pumps.
- 20 cement lined dug wells.
- 24 water distribution schemes powered by photovoltaic systems.
- 1 piezometer.
On October 1999 Lotti Ingegneria, as leading firm of a consortium including the French firm BCEOM, was awarded a second contract financed under the 8th EDF which was executed from October 1999 to July 2005 and whose key data were the following:
- 1,000,000 inhabitants provided with clean water.
- 1,650 new boreholes equipped with hand pumps.
- 11 water distribution schemes powered by photovoltaic systems.
- 19 water distribution schemes powered by pthermic systems.
- 10 piezometers installed for controlling the groundwater level.
On December 2011 Lotti Ingegneria, as leading firm of a consortium including the French firm EGIS Eau (former BCEOM), was awarded two other contracts financed under the 10th EDF which are under execution and will be achieved on December 2016 The key data of these two contracts are, in total, the following:
- 1,200,000 inhabitants provided with clean water.
- 250 rehabilitations of existing boreholes.
- 950 new boreholes: partly to be equipped by hand pump (750) and partly (200) to be used for the water distribution schemes
- 70 rural water distribution schemes powered with photovoltaic systems.
- 154 rural and semi-urban water distribution schemes mainly powered by thermic systems.
- 45 hydraulic production unit.
- 5 rehabilitations of existing water supplies network.
- 400 community sanitation units.
THE PROJECT: CHALLENGES AND SOLUTIONS
A very important component, crucial for the success of these kind of projects, is represented by the socio-economic surveys and the awareness campaign in favour of the beneficiary villages.
Through this activity, in fact, it is possible to convince the populations of the rural villages to dismiss their traditional sources of water and start using deeper and cleaner water from the new boreholes. In order this activity permits to verify their willingness of the beneficiary villages to pay for the repairing and maintenance of the equipment.
The willingness to pay from the beneficiary villages represents a guarantee about their capacity to utilize the clean water and the equipment in the proper way.
Thanks to the accurate hydrogeological and geophysical investigations carried out by our experts, the number of productive boreholes was much larger than foreseen.
Provided in collaboration with: EGIS EAU (former BCEOM), CIAT Ingénieurs Conseils
- Socio-economic studies.
- Selection of target villages and communities.
- Assessment of water resources and demand evaluation.
- Preliminary and Detail Design of the water distribution schemes, of the sanitation system, of the Hydraulic Production Unit and of the associated technical buildings.
- Quantity and Cost Estimation.
- Preparation of the Tender Documents.
- Assistance during Tender phase and selection of Contractors.
- Works Supervision including Provisional and Final Acceptance.
- Awareness campaign and training to the beneficiary communities.
- Assistance at the start-up of the Water Users Associations for the financial and operational management.
- Training on water supply operation and maintenance.
- Assistance at the handing-over of the new infrastructure to the Users Associations.
- Assistance in the negotiation with the suppliers of spare parts for the pumps and the water distribution schemes