Dega Shqiperi – Rruga Vaso Pasha, Pallati –
13/1, Kati 6
Ing. Luigi Cavazza
c/o Artsakhroad Institute CJSC
24 Iane, Acharyan street
Calle Lucas Majano Oe 3-64 y Av. Brasil –
Ing. Francesco Fusco
Mauritius23, Stevenson avenue
ILE DE MAURITIUS
Ing. Vincenzo Onali
2/1 V. Shymanovskoho Street, off. 527
MWANZA REGION ROADS AND WATER SUPPLY
|Client||Ministry of Works
Mwanza Urban Water and Sewerage Authority (MWAUWASA)
|Services provided||Detailed design,Supervision of works|
|Period of execution||01/2001 - 12/2010|
|Construction cost||€ 76,419,864.00|
|KEY FACTS / KEY DATA||
Mwanza is the second town of Tanzania with over 500,000 inhabitants and is still rapidly expanding.
Located on the shores of Lake Victoria and not far from various nature reserves, it offers ample opportunities for economic development.
With its port and airport able to receive regional flights it is an important communication node for neighboring countries such as Uganda and Kenya.
Over the years it has come to create an imbalance between the expansion of the urban agglomeration and infrastructure.
The aim of the project is the adaptation of services to the size of the city through the implementation of a substantial upgrade and improvement of the road network and the integrated water service in the city.
THE PROJECT: CHALLENGES AND SOLUTIONS
The implementation of the road network consists of 50 km of paved roads in urban and suburban areas. As concerns the water emergency it was expected doubling of the intake works from the lake, a new water treatment plant, the extension of the drinking water distribution network for an additional 80 km length, the expansion of the sewer system including pumping stations and a new wastewater treatment plant.
The water resource is constituted by the waters of Lake Victoria, on average characterized by a generally high quality, but sometimes also by a high presence of pollutants of organic and bacteriological character.
A prudent planning of the works construction has been necessary to harmonize and integrate the work on the two networks of services - road and hydraulic - searching workable solutions such as to minimize subsequent remakes or interference.
The construction of the works was also influenced by other factors:
- high population density with the need to carry out excavations and leveling in rocky areas in the vicinity of buildings or public infrastructure, which resulted in special measures as regards logistics, organization of construction yards and measures of security;
- a limited extension of the existing road network, which resulted in the execution of the works in areas with poor access to the means of work;
- predominantly rocky soil and the orography particularly rugged in the territory affected by the works.
During construction some variations and optimizations have been inevitably needed and our supervision of works has solved properly by providing the customer a valid engineering support.
Among the project activities, the study of sanitation in individual character has been provided, with the organization of a service for construction of septic tanks and their maintenance under the care of MWAUWASA.
During the construction supervision, the aspects of liaison with the authorities and with the local communities, in order to obtain the necessary permits for the construction and building consensus, have been also treated.
The activities for strengthening the capacity building and operational management of the water supply authority -including the mapping of existing network and the provision of equipment for losses detection, necessary to local operators- have been also planned.
Provided in collaboration with POYRY Environment GmbH, Mannheim, Germany (water component only)
- Feasibility study for the completion of the sewerage system
- Revision of feasibility study for the interventions to improve water supply
- Detailed design of water supply
- Assistance to the Client for all tendering procedures
- Technical assistance and training to the staff of MWAUWASA in order to improve the operational capabilities
- Supervision of works